Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Bl. Mother Teresa calls me out

Usually when I come home for extended periods of time I feel really un-peaceful. Now, don't get me wrong, I love being at home. I love my family so much and I miss them like crazy when I'm away at school. But once I've been at home for a few days (or sometimes hours) I become acutely aware of the lack of peace here at home. It may seem ridiculous to expect peace from the home of 2 parents, 9 children, and 1 dog, and I know better than to expect everyone to be quiet and calm all the time, but the lack of peace still makes me sad. I often get frustrated with it and even find myself getting angry with my family for their bad attitudes and bickering.

I read this quote from Bl.Mother Teresa today and it just hit me hard: "“What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.”

Wow.

Of course I want world peace, who doesn't? But how do I expect to go out and love the world and promote world peace if I can't even love my own family? Mother Teresa's words really called me out. They made me think, "Is selflessly loving my family the foremost concern on my mind when I come home? Maybe if it were I could really start to make a difference at home." I've always kind of resented being the oldest, but this is my chance to put it to use, to set a good example for the other kids of love, in the hopes that little by little, together, we can restore peace.

No comments: